Written By: Shuaib M. al-Mosawa
Article Date: Oct 23, 2010 - 5:02:57 PM
Yemeni warplanes launched strikes in the Modia district of Abyan province on Tuesday, targeting locations believed to be home to al-Qaeda commander Abdul Munem al-Fahtani, according to the defense ministry website.
“The raids at Thaooba area, Modia district, killed a 65-year-old man and two women. No al-Qaeda members were killed,” a security official told Yemen Observer on a condition of anonymity.
In Thaooba, two raids launched at the village targeted the house of Salem al-Keida whose sons are believed to be al-Qaeda affiliates. The attack did not kill any of them, however.
The military also shelled areas outside of the Lawdar district on Monday, believing the area was home to a number of al-Qaeda affiliates.
The Thaooba area is considered one of al-Qaeda’s biggest strongholds. No Yemeni citizens are believed to be there, local media reported.
Warplanes have launched several raids against locations in Modia and Lawdar districts where al-Qaeda affiliates are believed to be hiding. The military attacks came in response to a failed al-Qaeda assassination attempt on Abyan governor Ahmed al-Maisari as well as the Abyan general security director last Thursday in Modia district. Earlier that day, the Modia security director was killed by gunmen believed to be affiliated with the southern separatist movement, not al-Qaeda.
• Offensive against militants drives US drone campaign, tribes claim
• Family to hand over militants should drone campaign cease
• Government says Al Qaeda deputy amir dead, experts skeptical