Written By: Nasser Arrabyee
Article Date: Aug 6, 2012 - 11:09:50 PM
The death toll raised to 55 in the suicide bombing that took place in condolences gathering in Ja’ar at night Saturday.
More than 40 people were injured most of them seriously, according to medical sources. The suicide bombing was in the house of Abdul Latif al-Sayed, the head of the anti-al-Qaeda popular committees.
Al-Sayed defected from al-Qaeda before it was driven out from Ja’ar last May. Al-Sayed survived but two of his brothers were killed.
Earlier in the day, the sources said 50 people were killed and injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up in a tribal gathering for paying tributes in a house in Ja’ar in the southern province of Abyan, local sources said early Sunday. Abdul Latif al-Sayed, the head of the anti-Al Qaeda popular committees in Abyan survived, the sources said.
The house where suicide bombing took place belongs to al-Sayed and it is located in Batis area at the outskirts of Ja’ar. In a related issue, a US drone killed 4 al-Qaeda operatives while driving in their car in the area of Qutan west of Sayoun town in Hudhrmout, east of Yemen, said security sources and local resident on Sunday.
Four dead bodies were found completely burnt with the completely destroyed car, land cruiser, model 87. It was very difficult identify who were killed, but local residents said they were al-Qaeda leading members. Several clashes took place between al-Qaeda and popular committees and five people were killed last Thursday.
Al-Qaeda has been trying to re-take the town of Ja’ar over the last two weeks. Meanwhile, four al-Qaeda operatives were killed by a drone attack in al-Qutan area in Sayoun of the eastern province of Hudhrmout, said security sources early Sunday.
In the same context, a suicide bomber was arrested inside the mosque of the 21 Mechanized Brigade in the southern province of Shabwah, said military sources on Saturday.
The sources said the man, believed to be from al-Qaeda, entered the camp from the main gate, which means someone from inside might have helped him.
The man was arrested before he blew himself up inside the mosque. To this regard, the security forces in Aden arrested two men who were following in their car the convoy of the commander of the southern region Nasser Abdu Rabu al-Taheri, said security sources in Aden.
The sources said that the arrest of the two men and their car came after the security had noticed the same car following the convoy of al-Taheri more than one time.
The sources said the men are believed to be al-Qaeda members. Meanwhile, one al-Qaeda operative was killed and another was injured when a bomb went off in their room while preparing it to implement terrorist acts, said security sources Saturday.
Hussein Mohammed Ahmed al-Saifi,30, was killed and Murad Ali Nasser al-Shaheri was injured when their bomb exploded in their room in al-Qadesyah area, Shumailah, south of the capital Sana’a. In the room, separate room, the security forces found explosives and wires and devices used for bombings and a computer set. The two men are al-Qaeda members and were planning to carry out terrorist acts in Sana’a against security and military officials, the sources said.
• Offensive against militants drives US drone campaign, tribes claim
• Family to hand over militants should drone campaign cease
• Government says Al Qaeda deputy amir dead, experts skeptical