Written By: Observer Staff
Article Date: Nov 7, 2012 - 6:32:40 PM
The Yemen Observer hereby issues a retraction on the article published on November 5 concerning the killing of Tariq al-Fathli, a senior al-Qaeda member.
The article has been retracted after further investigation by our team. It has come to light that sources of the reported killing had been incorrect, there was no confirmation of al-Fathli's death and new information has been discovered.
al-Fathli returned to one of his houses in Zinjibar last Monday, which caused the Popular Forces to besiege his house and ordered him to surrender.
A local council official confirmed that one of Fathli’s close relatives, Ahmed Hussain al-Fthli, is leading now a mediation effort to convince al-Fathli to surrender.
“He [Ahmed al-Fathi] is going to Fathli’s house to convince him to surrender to the government,” said the local official.
Fathli maintains that the Popular Forces must move away from his house and guarantee that his life is secured.
Tariq al-Nagdi, one of Fathli’s loyalists identified by local sources as Fathli’s Guards Commander, was arrested this afternoon in the Shuqra district.
A close friend of Fathli's said that Fathli would surrender to the local government in order to alleviate the tension between the Popular Forces and that he would be transferred to Sana’a.
The Yemen Observer would like to apologize for the report being incorrect, but would also like to mention that our staff take the utmost care to verify and evaluate the accuracy of the information being reported but unfortunately mistakes may occasionally be made.
• Offensive against militants drives US drone campaign, tribes claim
• Family to hand over militants should drone campaign cease
• Government says Al Qaeda deputy amir dead, experts skeptical