Yemen Observer: http://www.yobserver.com
Written By: Mohammed al-Kibsi
Article Date: Jan 19, 2011 - 2:48:34 PM
A five-story building collapsed Wednesday in Sana'a and approximately 9 people were trapped under the wreckage, said people living in the neighborhood of the building’s collapse.
The land lord Abdullah al-Kumaim , 65 years old, was pulled out of the wreckage along with two girls one of whom is believed to be the landlord’s granddaughter. Rescue teams were still searching for seven other residents, police at the scene said.
A family of 7 people that used to rent one of the five stories left the house a day before the incident after they informed the land lord about cracks in the building’s foundation and structure. The land lord failed to act in response to the tenant’s complaints.
The collapse is thought to have occurred around 3 am on Wednesday.
The official said many people were expected to be found dead because the collapse happened early in the day as people were still asleep.
He said rescue teams had been sent to the site, with dozens of police and others clearing the rubble with their bare hands, as well as with bulldozers.
The lower three stories of the building were built of mud and the 2 upper stories are built of concrete.