Written By: http://www.yemenobserver.com
Article Date: Feb 4, 2013 - 9:32:16 PM
Iranian Ambassador, Mahmoud Hassan Zadah denies in a press conference held last month reports about Iran’s support for the Southern Movement. He described them as “western misleading reports.”
Iranian officials in Sana’a said they are awaiting the Yemeni government to provide evidence for their claims that Iran sent arms to the port of Aden.The arms shipment included a number of surface to air missiles.
State-run Saba News Agency said on Saturday that police seized a boat carrying arms in Yemen’s territorial waters. It said that the arms shipment originated in Iran and was handed to a Yemeni crew there.
Morteza Abedin, Deputy Iranian Ambassador to Yemen, said on Sunday that they are contacting the Yemeni government to provide evidence.
“We are still awaiting the concerned Yemeni officials to make sure of the matter. We are trying to contact the concerned authorities and see if they have any proof [of the arms seized] or evidence,” said Abedin.
“Then we will consider the matter based on the provided evidence.”
The government had announced on January 29 that police intercepted the arms shipment six days prior but did not accuse Iran. A New York Times story quoted American officials as saying Iran was behind the arms shipment.
“Yesterday they [Yemeni government media] wrote something,” said Abedin, “and today they wrote something else.”
Yemen has seen a wave of arms shipment sent over the past year, with the majority originating from Turkey.