Written By: Elena White
Article Date: May 3, 2012 - 7:26:20 PM
Military officials just announced that following yet another missile attack against one of the terror group’ stronghold in the southern province of Abyan 15 Islamic militants had been killed.
According to military reports, the US Drones targeted a camp north of Jaar a town under the direct control of Ansar al-Sharia, an offshoot of al-Qaeda in the region.
Despite much public outcry, the Yemeni government continues to allow American interventions on its territories in a bid to rid the region from al-Qaeda.
Despite months of continuous strike and no major breakthrough allowed the Yemeni armed forces to regain their lost territories, with Jaar and Zinjibar having been under occupation for a year.
And if on occasions the Yemeni army managed to advance with al-Qaeda’s Caliphates it never managed to properly push back the militants, not long enough anyway to claim victory.
Having benefited from the unrest which last year’s popular uprising brought about, al-Qaeda has become a serious threat to the region’ security, making Yemen’s Oil giant, Saudi Arabia rather nervous, especially since the group clearly defined the Kingdom as its target.
• Yemen seizes military materiel
• Yemen: Democracy School certified as division of Defense for Children International
• Yemen’s army shells tribal areas after pipeline sabotage
• Sawa’a organization calls for Jewish involvement in Yemen’s National Dialogue
• US aircraft carrying soldiers, equipment lands in Yemen