Written By: Elena White
Article Date: May 12, 2012 - 9:40:43 PM
Local residents in Sana’a, the Yemeni capital told the Yemen Observer’s reporters that they hear a huge explosion and saw tunnels of black smokes rising from the an area situated near the American Embassy and the National Security Headquarters, in Shawb district in the eastern section of the city.
Soon after that they mentioned that gunshot battles erupted. Leaving them fear that violence had returned to Sana’a.
Although the authorities refused to comment on the matter, it is important to note that this incident came only days after a battle opposing alleged al-Qaeda militants and the military police took place in the capital in Mareb Street a populous neighborhood.
Resident fear now that al-Qaeda fighters infiltrated the capital as they did the southern sea-port city of Aden, trying to spread chaos I fear to gain control over the state institutions.
The terror group has long warned that it would revenge the death of its militants from the hands of the Americans, which could mean that the Yemeni capital has become al-Qaeda’s prime target.
• Yemen seizes military materiel
• Yemen: Democracy School certified as division of Defense for Children International
• Yemen’s army shells tribal areas after pipeline sabotage
• Sawa’a organization calls for Jewish involvement in Yemen’s National Dialogue
• US aircraft carrying soldiers, equipment lands in Yemen