Written By: Yemen Observer Staff
Article Date: Aug 2, 2012 - 11:22:20 PM
An Italian worker in Yemen was kidnapped by unknown gunmen on late Sunday afternoon near the embassy in the capital Sana’a, security official said.
In a statement to Reuters, a spokesman for the Italian Foreign Ministry in Rome said a security officer who is a member of the country’s Carabinieri military police had been seized in Yemen and that a crisis committee had been activated.
The spokesman declined to give further details. A security source in Yemen, who told Reuters the kidnap victim was a diplomat, said he had been near the Italian embassy when “men came by in a car and took him by force”.
Yemen defense ministry said the Yemeni foreign minister, Abu Bakr al-Qirbi, met with the Italian ambassador to discuss the matter and that the security has been in pursuit of the kidnappers.
• Yemen seizes military materiel
• Yemen: Democracy School certified as division of Defense for Children International
• Yemen’s army shells tribal areas after pipeline sabotage
• Sawa’a organization calls for Jewish involvement in Yemen’s National Dialogue
• US aircraft carrying soldiers, equipment lands in Yemen