Written By: Fares Anam
Article Date: Aug 4, 2012 - 11:06:04 PM
A security official revealed a suicide bomber belongs to al-Qaeda retreated at the last minute for the implementation of the attack was aimed at the British embassy in the Yemeni capital Sana’a on Monday night.
The young man in his twenties went wearing an explosive belt made by a cell belongs to al Qaeda around his body and convinced him to blow himself up in the building of the British Embassy, said the source. He hesitated on his way to the embassy, and he tended the explosive belt from his body and threw it in the pile of waste near the Hospital of al-Thawra, according to the security source.
Then, the suicide bomber headed to the building of the British embassy fearing that the cell is observing him, and he surrounded himself to the embassy guards and admitted by the suicide mission assigned by al-Qa’eda and demanded an insurance for his life.
The source said that suicide bomber was delivered to the Yemeni security services, which showed to them the place of the explosive belt. Intensive investigations are undertaken with the suicide bomber to cover the circumstances of the operation that failed at the last minute.
• Yemen seizes military materiel
• Yemen: Democracy School certified as division of Defense for Children International
• Yemen’s army shells tribal areas after pipeline sabotage
• Sawa’a organization calls for Jewish involvement in Yemen’s National Dialogue
• US aircraft carrying soldiers, equipment lands in Yemen