Written By: Yemen Observer Staff
Article Date: Aug 6, 2012 - 12:01:25 PM
An al-Qaeda suicide bomber killed at least 45 civilians at a funeral in Ja’ar town of Abyan province, the Defense Ministry said Sunday.
The al-Qaida suicide bomber detonated the explosives around his waist among funeral guests in Ja’ar town in Abyan province late on Saturday night, the country's Defense Ministry said in a brief statement posted on its website.
"Latest reports coming from Abyan province indicate that at least 46 people were killed and about 48 others were wounded, some of them in critical conditions," the statement said.
A local pro-government tribal chief is among those killed in the funeral attended by other anti-al-Qaeda militiamen and social figures, the statement added.
Al-Qaeda claimed responsibility for the deadly attack in an emailed statement obtained by Xinhua on Sunday. "One of our holly warriors carried out a successful jihadist operation on a compound in Jaar town," the statement said without giving more details.
It also threatened to launch further attacks on security officials and military bases across the country.
• Yemen seizes military materiel
• Yemen: Democracy School certified as division of Defense for Children International
• Yemen’s army shells tribal areas after pipeline sabotage
• Sawa’a organization calls for Jewish involvement in Yemen’s National Dialogue
• US aircraft carrying soldiers, equipment lands in Yemen