Written By: Mohammed al-Kibsi
Article Date: Sep 1, 2012 - 7:59:24 PM
Five al-Qaeda suspects were killed in an air strike in al-Qatan district of Hadramout province in the east south of Yemen on Wednesday, said military officials.
Military officials said an airstrike has hit a vehicle carrying suspected militants as it traveled down an inner city road in eastern Yemen, killing five.
The officials say the attack Wednesday targeted the vehicle in Hadramawt in eastern Yemen.
They say the bodies were badly mangled by the airstrike. The officials didn’t say who carried out the attack, but the U.S. has used drones in the past to go after al-Qaeda insurgents in Yemen.
The attack was unusual in that it was not in a desert or mountain area, but an area heavily populated by civilians. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not allowed to speak to the media.
• Yemen seizes military materiel
• Yemen: Democracy School certified as division of Defense for Children International
• Yemen’s army shells tribal areas after pipeline sabotage
• Sawa’a organization calls for Jewish involvement in Yemen’s National Dialogue
• US aircraft carrying soldiers, equipment lands in Yemen