Written By: Yemen Observer Staff
Article Date: Oct 3, 2012 - 8:09:06 PM
Yemeni police arrested three African smugglers, who traffic Africans to Saudi Arabia, through a raid operation in coordination with the prosecutor of the al-Jarahi district.
The raid operation comes in the light of information confirmed that the smugglers detained a number of Ethiopians inside their yard and exposed them to abuse, beatings and torture in order to obtain funds for their smuggling.
According to Interior Ministry media center, this type of inhumane operation is exhibited by most smugglers in the region, where they detain Africans who wish to enter Saudi Arabia illegally and then force them to contact their families in Saudi Arabia to send money that is taken by the traffickers.
Yemeni police have arrested more than 15 smugglers to date, smugglers involved in inhuman and aggressive operations of this kind.
• Yemen seizes military materiel
• Yemen: Democracy School certified as division of Defense for Children International
• Yemen’s army shells tribal areas after pipeline sabotage
• Sawa’a organization calls for Jewish involvement in Yemen’s National Dialogue
• US aircraft carrying soldiers, equipment lands in Yemen